Have you ever wondered how to improve WordPress email notifications? WordPress email notifications, especially for comments, have long been a thorn in our side. By default, WordPress sends the comment notifications to the email in Settings -> General. As web developers, we prefer to have that email set to our email address so we receive notifications when plugins are updated. But comment notifications should go to the website owner, so she can handle them directly.
We’ve looked for various solutions over the years for how to change comment notification emails in WordPress, and have found few offerings we liked or were ready to recommend. One we had used on other sites is no longer maintained, so we couldn’t recommend it anymore. Some solutions that handle everything about comments are either too heavy or require users to log in, and that wasn’t what we were looking for.
When we needed a solution for a new client, we started out on our quest again.
This time, we found Better Notifications for WP.
This versatile plugin allows us to send comment notifications to only the WordPress user we designate, so the comments can go to the client and not to us. It can also handle a lot of other types of email notifications from your website, not just comment notifications.
To change comment notification emails in WordPress
- Install the Better Notifications for WP plugin and activate it.
- The notification must be sent to a WordPress user, so first click on Users and make sure the person you want to send the notification to has an account. If not, create one.
- Click on Add New, and create your new notification. You can send to specific users, or send by role (for example, send to all Admin users except Joe).
- You can use shortcodes to create the text of your notification, or type in text. Click on the “Read Documentation” or “Find Shortcodes” buttons inside the plugin for more information.
- Make sure your notification is enabled, and click on Save.
But that’s not all, Better Notifications for WP can help you with many different types of notifications – new user emails, transactional emails, alerts to other site admins about new pages or posts published, and more, and all kinds of premium add-ons are also available.
Do you use a different solution? How do you tell WordPress where to send comment notifications? Let us know below!
Interested in more plugin reviews? See our recommended plugins.